LSU Tigers vs. Clemson Tigers Preview
We made it. The College Football Championship game between LSU and Clemson is finally here. And if the pregame shows from Bourbon Street are any indication, plenty of purple-and-gold fans made it, too. LSU opened as a 3-4 point favorite at most shops, but the boys from the bayou are now holding as a consensus 5-point favorites over the defending national champs. The total has dropped from 69.5 to 67 at some shops as the game approaches. Are we in for a high-scoring shootout? Only one of the previous five college football championship games have reached 70 points.
Stay on top of the latest College Football updates direct from Las Vegas!
Event: (283) Clemson Tigers +5 vs. (284) LSU Tigers (o/u 67.5)
Date/Time: Monday, January 13 at 8:00 p.m. EDT
Surprisingly, these two southeastern giants have only met three times, with one of those contests coming 61 years ago. Clemson won their most-recent meeting 25-24 in the 2012 Chick-fil-A Bowl. LSU has met the bookmakers’ lofty expectations to close the season. The Tigers have covered the spread over their last three contests (against Texas A&M, Georgia and Oklahoma) by 25, 20, and 23 points. LSU’s Joe Burrow is attempting to become the 16th player to win their national championship and the Heisman trophy in the same season. Alabama’s Derrick Henry is the last player to accomplish the feat in 2015.
A few trends, courtesy of The Gold Sheet:
- Clemson went 11-2 against the spread vs. FBS opponents this season.
- Clemson is 10-1 against the spread in their last 11 bowl/playoff game appearances.
- Dating back to the end of last season, LSU is 12-4 against the spread in their last 16 games.
- The over is 11-5 in LSU’s last 16 games.
The below charts show the odds and trends for the College Football Championship game at William Hill’s 100+ sports books in Indiana, Iowa, Nevada, New Jersey, and West Virginia as of Friday, January 10. In the futures market, Clemson never got above +300 to win the National Championship at William Hill, but LSU was available at 50-to-1 over the spring.
Looking for more free sports picks and sports betting tips?
- Latest Betting Odds and Public Action: Vegas lines updated in real time, including who the public is betting on.
- Last Minute Handicapping Advice: Check out our extensive library of handicapping tips and advice from professional Vegas handicappers (we also recommend taking the time to look over our sports betting tips video library)
- Want an expert opinion? Check out the latest Free Sports Picks and Best Bets from our team of expert sports handicappers.
Make sure to bookmark all the above!