Pitt Panthers vs. Syracuse Orange Betting Preview
Challenged vs. Mercy Rule: Which would you rather have? That question will be answered on Saturday afternoon as the Syracuse Orange travel to Pittsburgh. Syracuse faced a top-20 foe in Week 1, while Pitt earned a mercy-rule victory over an FCS squad. Tune in as the WagerTalk TV crew offers their Pitt vs. Syracuse preview, in addition to other college football predictions for this upcoming weekend.
Stay on top of the latest College Football updates direct from Las Vegas!
Event: (119) Syracuse Orange +21.5 at (120) Pitt Panthers (o/u 50.5)
Date/Time: Saturday, September 19 at 12:00 p.m. EDT
Pitt bettors were happy to see the 42-0 score at halftime of last weekend’s game against Austin Peay…Only to hear the two teams agreed to shorten the second half, effectively cancelling most wagers. Nonetheless, the Panthers were impressive in their debut and will look to carry that momentum into ACC play. Pitt is 9-19 against the spread as a home favorite dating back to 2014, and 1-8 against the spread in their last nine games when laying more than 14 points.
Syracuse’s Week 1 game against North Carolina is a little tricky to decipher. On one hand, the 31-6 final score is a little deceptive because it was 10-6 in the fourth quarter. But on the other hand, the final margin was probably justified after the Tar Heels out-gained the Orange by 261 yards and eight first downs. Syracuse quarterback Tommy DeVito finished 13-of-31 for 112 passing yards behind a new offensive line. DeVito was sacked seven times last week against the Tar Heels. In last year’s meeting between these two teams, DeVito was sacked nine times by the Panthers.
A few trends, courtesy of The Gold Sheet:
- Since the start of last season, Syracuse is 2-7 against the spread as an underdog.
- The under is 24-10 in Pitt’s last 34 games.
- Pitt has covered nine of the last 11 meetings in this series.
Syracuse Orange at Pitt Panthers Preview and Pick
Looking for more free sports picks and sports betting tips?
- Latest Betting Odds and Public Action: Vegas lines updated in real time, including who the public is betting on.
- Last Minute Handicapping Advice: Check out our extensive library of handicapping tips and advice from professional Vegas handicappers (we also recommend taking the time to look over our sports betting tips video library)
- Want an expert opinion? Check out the latest Free Sports Picks and Best Bets from our team of expert sports handicappers.
Make sure to bookmark all the above!